What are all of the essentials that one lists in a Bio…and more importantly, who sets the said standards? Questions like these are ones that you will find me asking. I am a curious learner, looking to the world to inspire my inquisitive nature. In learning spaces, I try to model this in order to create a similar curiosity among my students (whether child or adult). Currently, I am the MAET Program Coordinator at Michigan State University. I have also worked as a 1:1 Technology Facilitator in Illinois, a 6th grade science and ELA teacher in Michigan, and as an instructor for the MSU-WIPRO STEM & Leadership Teaching Fellowship. Education and technology are my game and I always look forward to growing as a digital and global citizen.
“I challenge you to make your life like a masterpiece. I challenge you to join the ranks of those people who live what they teach, who walk their talk.”
Michigan State University : East Lansing, MI
Master of Arts in Educational Technology July 2012
Learning Technology and Culture, Study Abroad Program
The University of Michigan-Dearborn: Dearborn, MI
Bachelor of Arts , Graduated with High Distinction May 2009
Major: Language Arts Minor: Integrated Science
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Funded project, MSU Hub Catalyst Innovation Program, 2019
- Best Fully Online Course, MSU’s AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology Awards, 2018
- Runner-up in Tech & Learning’s Leader of the Year Program, 2011
- Teacher of the Year, Fortis Academy 2011-2012
- UM-Dearborn Chancellor’s Medallion
- UM-Dearborn Student Teacher Panelist
- UM-Dearborn Distinguished Student Leadership Scholarship
- UM-Dearborn Service Learning Award
- Michigan Campus Compact Community Service Impact Award
- UM-Dearborn Emerging Student Leader
State of Michigan Standard Teaching Certificate
Elementary K-5 all subjects (K-8 All Subjects Self Contained Classroom)
- Endorsements: Language Arts (BX) K-8; Integrated Science (DI) K-8; Educational Technology (NP) K-8
State of Illinois Professional Educator License
- Elementary Education (Self Contained General Education), K-9
EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING
♦ Michigan State University
Master of Arts in Educational Technology (MAET), Program Coordinator 02/16-Current
- Strategic curriculum development of MAET courses
- Coordinating the study abroad summer experience in Galway, Ireland
- Serving as advisor to the MAET students
- Social media management and outreach for the MAET Program
- Courses taught:
- CEP 807: Proseminar in Educational Technology (face-to-face)
- CEP 810: Teaching for Understanding with Technology (face-to-face)
- CEP 811: Adapting Innovative Technologies in Education (online)
- CEP 815: Technology and Leadership (online)
- CEP 817: Learning Technology by Design (face-to-face and online)
- CEP 818: Creativity in Teaching and Learning (face-to-face and online)
- Course developed from scratch:
♦ Michigan State University
MSU-WIPRO STEM and Leadership Teaching Fellowship, Instructor06/14-05/17
- Collaborating with the instructional team to design adult learning opportunities in a year-long fellowship over the course of three years, for a total of of 124 Chicago Public School teachers
- Teaching in a hybrid format, blending online and face to face learning
♦Springman Middle School Glenview, IL
Technology Facilitator 08/12-01/16
- Overseeing/Coordinating technology integration for 850+ students and 90+ staff members
- Overseeing/Coordinating the 1:1 resource allocation rollout at the middle school (iPad)
- Working with Executive Technology Director and Technology Facilitator team to support the district’s strategic plan and provide professional development relating to the district’s goals
- Planning and implementing district-wide and building-wide professional development related to instructional technology
- Collaborating with staff members to support instructional strategies and design with digital resources
- Member of the DALFA Committee (Digital Age Learning For All)
- Member of the Common Core Math Curriculum Mapping Committee
- Member of the Next Generation Science Standards Mapping Committee
- Tech Club co-sponsor and collaborating on development of a makerspace in both middle school libraries
♦ Michigan State University Online
Educational Technology Certificate Instructor 01/13-05/14
- Teaching online courses for the Educational Technology Certificate program:
♦ Fortis Academy, National Heritage Academies Ypsilanti, MI
Science and Language Arts Teacher, 6th Grade 08/09-08/12
- Developing an inquiry science curriculum for 6th grade (Earth, Life, Physical Science, and models & designs)
- Designing and planning the Language Arts lessons for the entire 6th grade team.
- Strong emphasis placed on formative assessment and tracking student data.
- Co-sponsor of Lego League robotics team
- Sponsor of National Junior Honor Society, JV Cheerleading Coach and Assistant of the competition squad, JV Basketball Coach
- Co-chair of the staff morale committee, developed and implemented staff recognition program.
- Collaborated with colleagues to create annual “Invention Convention” to display student inventions.
- Member of the reading committee (developed AR technology workshops, planned school-wide activities).
♦ Northville Public Schools Northville, MI
Summer School Teacher, 1st-2nd Grade Transitional 06/09-07/09
- Developed and delivered innovative lesson plans to students ranging from 1st-3rd grade, in the areas of reading, writing, math, and science.
- Differentiated learning for students with Down Syndrome and Asperger’s Disorder.
♦ Amerman Elementary School, Northville Public Schools Northville, MI
Student Teacher, 5th Grade01/09 – 04/09
- Successfully collaborated with teammates on planning daily lessons for class in all subject areas.
- Incorporated creativity and provided community learning experiences into daily lessons.
- Modified lessons for child with Down Syndrome by collaborating with Special Education Teacher.
- Emphasized the importance of reading and writing through pen-palling with local fire fighters.
- Contributed as a co-sponsor of Student Council, helping to open the school store.
- Participated in direct discussion with Principal during a weekly “Seminar on Effective Teaching”.
- Horton A., Henriksen D., Mishra P., Seals C., Shack K., Marcotte C. (2019) Creativity and the Urban Teacher: A STEM-Related Professional Development Program: Resistive Theories, Practices, and Actions. In: Mullen C. (eds) Creativity Under Duress in Education?. Creativity Theory and Action in Education, vol 3. Springer DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90272-2_16
- Seals, C., Mehta, S., Wolf, L.G., & Marcotte, C. (2017). Theory and implementation of an innovative teacher professional development program. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 36(3), 219.235.
- Mishra, P., Graves-Wolf, L., Gunnings-Moton, S., Seals, C., Mehta, R., Berzina, I., Mehta, S., Horton, A., Shack, K., Marcotte, C., Cosby, M. & Pawlicki, D. (2016). Reinventing TPACK, STEM teaching and leadership in an urban context. In Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (pp. 2026-2030). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Mishra, P., Wolf, L., Gunnings Moton, S., Marcotte, C., Shack, K., Horton, A., Seals, C., Lishinski, A. & Pawlicki, D. (2015). Enhancing Urban Teachers STEM and Leadership Capacities: A preliminary report on a unique private-public-public partnership. Proceedings from Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (Vol. 2015, pp. 8491–8496). Las Vegas, NV. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/150122/
Professional Development/Conference Presentations
- MSU Spring Conference on Learning, Teaching, and Student Success, May 2019: “Wicked Problems – How an MA Program in Educational Technology Walks with Educators Through Inquiry”
- Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education (SITE) International Conference, March 2018: The Quickfire Challenge Workshop: How to fail fast & learn while having fun
- Horton, A., Mishra, P., Graves Wolf, L., Seals, C., & Marcotte, C.. (2017, November). Developing a Culture of Shared Practice through the use of Personal Learning Networks amongst STEM Educators. Accepted poster at the Association for Educational Communication and Technology (AECT) International Convention.
- Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), March 2017: “Designing the Ultimate PD Experience“
- Illinois Computing Educators (ICE), February 2017: “Creative Twists on Assessment“
- Portland Public Schools (MI), February 2017: “Computer Science in Your Content Area“
- Live Curious, Go Beyond (Monterrey, MX), February 2017: “Not so Standardized Assessment“
- Share Fair, November 2016: “Creative Assessment“
- Illinois Reading Council (IRC), September 2016: “Now and Then: Bringing the Past to Life by Podcasting in the Classroom“
- Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education (SITE) International Conference, March 2016: “Reinventing TPACK, STEM Teaching and Leadership in an Urban Context”
- Illinois Computing Educators (ICE), February 2016:
- Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education (SITE) International Conference, March 2015: “Enhancing Urban Teachers STEM and Leadership Capacities: A Preliminary Report on a Unique Private-Public-Public Partnership”
- Illinois Computing Educators (ICE), February 2015: “1:1 Deployment in the Middle School: iSucceed, WeSucceed”
- Presenter, Northfield English/LA Township Annual Conference, October 2014: “Genius Hour: A Pathway to Literacy“
- Attendee, Edcamp Illinois, September 2014
- Attendee, EdTechTeacher Summit, July 2014
- Presenter at ISTE Conference, June 2014: “Remix, Repurpose, Redesign: Promoting Student Ownership and Engagement” and “iPadeology: Staff and Student Resources for iPad Deployment“
- Presenter at ICE Conference, February 2014: “Remix, Repurpose, Redesign: Promoting Student Ownership and Engagement” and iPadeology: Staff and Student Resources for iPad Deployment”
- Presenter at NICE Minicon, January 2014: “Reframe Your Content in 120 Seconds“
- Attendee, Edcamp Home, January 2014
- Attendee, PLAYDATE Chicago, December 2013
- Presenter at the Summer Institute in Digital Literacy, July 2013: “Catch You on the Flip Side: How Educators can Explore Digital Literacy Through Flipped Professional Development“
- EdTech Startup Collaborative: User Conference, Summer 2013, Chicago
- Presenter at Tech & Learning’s Tech Forum in Spring 2013, Chicago: “Creativity, Collaboration, & the Common Core“
- ICE Conference, February 2013
- Kagan Training on Cooperative Learning Strategies: Fall 2012
- Attendee, Edcamp Chicago, October 2012
- Presenter, RELATe Conference (Rouen Educational Leadership and Technology): July 2011
- National Heritage Academies New Teacher Training: August 2010
- Attendee, SMEA Conference: Winter 2009
- Presenter and Attendee, Golden Key Regional Conference: Winter 2009
- Attendee, MTSA Conference: Fall 2008
- Attendee and student volunteer, MRA Conference: Winter 2008